Hello RFMA members,
Only a couple weeks till Memorial Day which means warm weather is right around the corner. In some cases, it's already here. It's now crunch time for your stores to be prepared to handle the hot weather. Are they ready? This time of year provides the last opportunity to ensure your restaurants are ready. As a final checklist of items to review, the following list summarizes tasks that should be completed prior to the summer:
- A/C units: The most important item to have professionally PM'd. A well running unit will save utility dollars and ensure customers and employees alike are both comfortable in the restaurant.
- Roofs: Now is the time to check for leaks and clean out all roof drains prior to the summer storms. Also, pick up any loose screws and other items that could potentially cause a leak if stepped on.
- Parking lot/sidewalks: Check for cracks and possible shifting of underneath soil to ensure there are no tripping hazards. Summer is normally a busy time of the year and preventing any slip/falls is of great benefit. Also, check for proper striping and correct any ADA issues accordingly.
- Carpet/floor cleaning: After a cold, wet winter & spring, have all carpeted areas deep cleaned to remove embedded dirt to provide a safe environment to the customers and employees.
- Tile & grout: Warmer weather will normally increase the humidity and moisture level. Check grout lines to see if they need to be scraped and repaired. This will minimize chance of moisture getting below the tiles, holding mold in check and extend the life of the floor.
-Doors: Warm weather means pests are active and more likely to enter the facility. Check to ensure sweeps are installed and in good condition.
- Air balance: Check to see the restaurant is somewhat positively balanced, which means when opening an exterior door, a little air rushes out of the building rather than in. This is very important to correct as a negative store will waste energy cooling dollars and make it uncomfortable for guests seated by the doors.
- Building sealing: Check all windows and exterior doors for proper sealing. Recaulk if necessary.
-Irrigation: Check proper on/off times for exterior irrigation and spray head operation. Replace any broken heads as required.
- For good "branding", replace any stained ceiling tiles which may have been damaged from leaks over the winter.
Hot weather is very tough on restaurant facilities. Completing these tasks will protect your brand and assets and hopefully minimize the emergency calls this summer. Have a safe season!
Dover and out.