Hello RFMA members,
Cool weather has long since disappeared. Summer is here again. It's already hit triple digits in many parts of the US and it's not even July yet. It is going to be another hot summer. How are your restaurants doing? Had any emergency calls in the past 20 minutes? Check out this Summer facilities checklist to keep emergency calls down and efficiency up!
Check out the following items to ensure your stores are operating at an efficient level this Summer:
- Air balance: Check to see the restaurant is positively balanced, which means when opening an exterior door, a little air rushes out of the building rather than in. This is very important to correct as a negative store will waste energy cooling dollars and make it uncomfortable for guests seated by the doors.
- PMs: When was the last PM completed on the HVAC units? When were the filters changed? Due to the longer run times during the summer, the frequency of filter changes may need to be increased. A well running unit will save utility dollars and ensure customers and employees alike are both comfortable in the restaurant.
- Roofs: Now is the time to check for leaks and clean out all roof drains in preparation of summer storms. Also, pick up any loose screws and other items that could potentially cause a leak if stepped on.
- Carpet/Floor Cleaning: After a wet spring, have all carpeted areas deep cleaned to remove embedded dirt to provide a safe environment to the customers and employees.
- Tile & Grout: Warmer weather will normally increase the humidity and moisture level. Check grout lines to see if they need to be scraped and repaired. This will minimize chance of moisture getting below the tiles, holding mold in check and extend the life of the floor.
- Parking Lot/Sidewalks: Check for cracks and possible shifting of underneath soil due to warm, dry weather to ensure there are no tripping hazards. Summer is normally a busy time of the year and preventing any slip/falls is of great benefit. Also, check for proper striping and correct any ADA issues accordingly.
-Doors: Warm weather means pests are active and more likely to enter the facility. Check to ensure sweeps are installed and in good condition.
- Building sealing: Check all windows and exterior doors for proper sealing. Re-caulk if necessary.
-Irrigation: Check proper on/off times for exterior irrigation and spray head operation. Replace any broken heads as required.
- Ceiling Tiles: For good "branding", replace any stained ceiling tiles which may have been damaged from leaks over the spring
Hot weather can be damaging to your restaurant facilities. Completing these tasks will protect your brand and assets and again hopefully minimize the emergency calls this summer. Have a safe season!
Dover and out.
Jeff Dover, CRFP
Facilities Resource Manager | Restaurant Facility Management Association
972-805-0905 ext. 3