Hello RFMA Members,
OK, it's almost time to change the clocks again. Maybe this will be the last time as several states are looking to eliminate Daylight Savings Time. This year, the time change takes place early on Sunday, Nov. 3rd. This also may be a good time to send a message to your restaurants reminding them to turn their clocks back one (1) hour and take care of a few housekeeping items as they prepare for shorter days and cold weather. Following is a list of items to consider:
- Adjust time clocks for all interior/exterior lighting. Also check for any burned out bulbs (especially exterior) and change or have professionally replaced as it will be darker substantially earlier. This is a must to protect customers, employees and your brand.
- Change times for exterior signage on/off times (time clocks) if not controlled by a photocell.
- Clean photocell lenses for exterior building and parking lot lights.
- Change programmable thermostat settings for proper times and temperatures. Do not program under 60 degrees in extreme cold climates.
- Adjust irrigation controls to correct time and ensure they are properly winterized for the cold season, where geographically applicable. Contact your lawn service provider if applicable.
- Change times for the security systems, i.e., burglar, fire, POS, and CCTV, if not done automatically.
- Have roof drains cleaned out as they be be clogged from summer/ fall storms.
- Check all exterior door sweeps for good conditions. Replace as needed as this will save energy and keep pests out as the weather turns cold.
- Ensure HVAC/R fall PM's have been completed or are scheduled.
On your personal residence, now is a good time for:
- Change batteries in all smoke/CO2 detectors.
- Change filter on HVAC unit.
- Clean out dryer vent.
- Clean refrigerator coil.
- Check windows for drafts, caulk where necessary.
- Check all exterior door sweeps to ensure they are in good condition.
- In the northern, colder climates, unhook all exterior hoses from their spigots and cover with insulation cap.
What did I miss? Always looking for feedback.
Dover and out
Jeff Dover, CRFP
Facilities Resource Manager | Restaurant Facility Management Association
972-805-0905 ext. 3