Hello RFMA members,
The prime hurricane seasonal time is here. This would be a good time to review your Disaster Management Plan with other internal departments to ensure all bases are covered so everyone knows what to expect and do in preparation, and during a storm. When was the last time the plan was reviewed and discussed? Following are a few items that may need review:
- Planning. Are the stores employees ready and informed on what actions are required in planning for a storm event? Does everyone know what to do and when to do it? What about corporate personnel?
- Decision making. Who is responsible for the critical decisions and when? What are the critical decisions? When should stores close to keep employees safe? When should contractors be notified and set-up to board and/or prepare the restaurant for the storm?
- Communication timing. Who is responsible to communicate the decisions reached? Are the disaster communication devices available and ready, i.e., satellite phones, 2-way radios, etc.?
- Store supplies. Are the proper supplies and their quantities available or are additional items needed, i.e., flash lights, batteries, First Aid kit, drinking water, phone chargers, cash, generators, etc.?
- Recovery. Are the Response and Recovery parts of the plans on target? Are the local public officials contact information up to date and written down which will be needed in reopening the restaurant.
- Insurance. Is your coverage up to date, active, and include all potential disasters, i.e. hurricane, flood, fire, etc?
Hurricanes are just one of the natural disasters to plan for. Periodic practice and review of your plans are necessary to protect company assets and keep employees safe. RFMA has several Disaster Management planning resources on our website in the Resource Library in the Facilities Toolkit section and there is an Online Learning Module in our CRFP Prep Course. Additionally, feel free to review past articles in the Facilitator magazine.
Dover and out.
Jeff Dover, CRFP
Facilities Resource Manager | Restaurant Facility Management Association
972-805-0905 ext. 3