Hello RFMA members,
Well, it's almost Memorial Day weekend and you know what that means. Summer is here. Very hot weather is right around the corner. Are your stores prepared? After a long winter and wet spring, now is your final chance to make sure your restaurants are ready for the next several months of hot, intense weather. Following is a brief list of last minute items to check on to keep your stores cool, looking good, and saving energy throughout the summer:
- Carpet/floor cleaning. After a long winter and wet spring, deep carpet/floor cleaning is required to remove the embedded dirt and soil that was dragged in.
- Tile & grout. Seems like this is a never ending battle but check all grout lines to see if they need to be scraped out and replaced or if they even exist. This will keep the tile dry underneath, hold the smell down from potential mold, and extend the life of the floor.
- Doors. Check all exterior doors to ensure they close properly and have sweeps installed. These will help keep the cool air in and pests out.
- A/C units. Probably the most important item to check prior to summer. Absolutely need these running optimally for customer/employee comfort and minimizing energy usage. Double check with your local vendor to make sure these have been PM'd. Address any repairs immediately.
- Caulking. Check all exterior doors and windows to see if they need to be caulked. Will save in energy and possible warm drafts into the restaurant.
- Ceiling tiles. After a wet spring, some tiles may need to be replaced.
- Roofs. Check for leaks and clean out all roof drains as they may be clogged after the spring storms.
- Parking lot. Checks for cracks and possibly reseal/stripe to protect and extend the life of the lot.
The hot weather is always a demanding time for your stores. By completing these simple tasks, you'll protect your company assets and possibly make your life a little easier this summer.
Dover and out.