These are exciting times. We are nearing our volunteer event, and several sub-projects are either starting or getting ready to start soon. It is amazing what RFMA is preparing to do at this facility, and I can't wait until everyone gets a chance to see this firsthand i.e. between now and RFMA 2015, our Annual Conference, in February 2015. Below are some updates and information on the project:
What do we still need help with?
- Double stack convection oven - the team at ECTLC has a unit that is on its last leg. They do 80% of their cooking through this one piece of equipment so it is critical that we get them a new one
- Building repairs to stucco, wood trim - prior to painting the facility, many of these areas need to be repaired. We would like to find someone who can come in and repair these prior to our volunteer event
- Paint - we already have a very generous donation for paint, but we have a very large need. We are hoping to find another 100 or so gallons of paint for our project
- Paint supplies - we need everything from brushes, rollers, tape, visqueen, drop cloths, etc... if you are aware of any opportunities for us to get our hands on these, we would greatly appreciate it
- Paint crew with sprayer - we need at least one more painting crew for our volunteer event. The volunteers will focus their efforts on the doors, trim, and railing around the facility. However, we need multiple paint crews with sprayers to take care of painting the body of the building.
- Lighting materials and installation of lights - we got a great donation for all the exterior lights at the living area of the facility, but we still need interior and exterior lights for the restaurant.
- Volunteers - we need bodies for our event. The more, the merrier. If you have yet to signup and plan on attending, please do so ASAP. Also, if you know of others who can help, invite them. Non-members are welcome. You can register them as additional names when you signup. Visit the Event Calendar to sign-up for the Volunteer Days or click here.
- Professional clothing - the facility transitions folks back into the workplace. Many of these folks do not have the necessary business clothes for job interviews, etc.. We are doing a clothing drive for them as part of our volunteer event. If you plan on attending and have extra business clothes that are still in good condition, please bring them by. We need both male and female clothes.
- Food - Do you have the opportunity through your company or other relationships to provide food for our volunteer event? If so, we need your help. Based on the volume of people we expect, we will need help from multiple sources to provide food.
What work is already done or occurring currently at ECTLC?
We can't wait to tell you about all the other items that haven't yet started as we have so many amazing things that you will be thrilled to hear about. These are just the ones that are in motion or already done.
- Renovation of lobby and office has started. For more details, check out this cool video
- Monetary donation from CFESA for cold and hot side equipment repairs
- Monetary donation from Rabine Paving
- Monetary donation from MassGlass
- Donation of (2) HVAC split systems by Trane
- Filming of entire project events by DWM Facilities Maintenance
- Donation of equipment by Pei Wei
- Pickup and delivery of equipment from Pei Wei by Hobart services
- Donation of equipment by Red Lobster
- Donation of exterior lighting by Peak Lighting
- Donation of line location and line clearing by Roto Rooter
Again, as if these items weren't enough to show the strength and generosity of RFMA's members, there is more coming. Stay tuned as you will continued to be blown away by what is going on.
What will we be doing at the volunteer event?
Here is an overview of what we will be doing during this event:
- Painting - we plan to paint the exterior of their entire facility (101 room residence and offices). also, we plan to paint the exterior of their restaurant which is a separate building.
- General cleanup of site
- Small projects - TBD based on volunteer signups and available resources
- Providing you with tours of the facility to learn more about what they do at ECTLC as well as learn more about the projects we have done (as well as what we still plan on doing)
Get to know someone at ECTLC
Meet Harold Brown (see picture below). Harold is the CEO and leader of ECTLC. He is married with 4 kids.
Harold is truly an amazing man. He has impressed us since the beginning when we were first going through the potential candidates for this year's event. He has a clear vision of what ECTLC is and where he wants it to go. There are no limits to his vision, and that is part of what inspired us about this place. They want to do more than their current resources allow, and set forth everyday with every intent on making their vision come to fruition.
Harold is also a daily reminder of what people can do with their lives with the proper support and guidance. He believes in giving people a hand up versus a hand out. He also firmly believes that we must help others by holding them accountable and not enabling them. You see, Harold gained this viewpoint and his passion for helping others through his own life journey. Prior to 1989, Harold's life was on the wrong path. Fortunately for him and us all, Harold turned things around and has been clean and sober since 1989. This was facilitated through his introduction to a similar group as ECTLC called the San Diego Rescue Mission. It was here that he found the help he needed to get clean and sober. It was also there that he started his life of serving others which eventually took him to where he is now. Harold worked at the San Diego Rescue Mission for a few years before heading eventually heading over to what we now know as ECTLC. His story is truly inspirational and one i hope you get the chance to learn more about when you visit him at ECTLC.
Thanks again for your time and support of this great event. We are truly making a difference through the power of RFMA.