What is this survey about?
The National Restaurant Association and the Restaurant Facility Management Association have begun the process of establishing an ENERGY STAR® building energy performance score for restaurants!
NRA and RFMA are collaborating in this effort with EPA's ENERGY STAR program, the Better Buildings Alliance (U.S. Department of Energy), and the PG&E Food Service Technology Center.
The ENERGY STAR performance score cannot be developed without energy and water data …
THIS SURVEY IS COLLECTING THE DATA NEEDED FOR THE ENERGY STAR SCORE
Complete this survey and be eligible for hundreds of dollars
in American Express and Starbucks gift cards!
How does this help my business?
- Are you a forward thinking restaurateur who runs an efficient business? Want to let your customers know this quickly and easily? Then we need your help with this survey!
- Your customers know the ENERGY STAR! It is recognized symbol energy efficiency.
For example, a recent customer survey found:
- 87% recognized the ENERGY STAR label when it was shown to them
- 64% associated the ENERGY STAR label with "efficiency or energy savings"
- 41% knowingly purchased an ENERGY STAR-labeled product in the past 12 months
- Other businesses can already earn the ENERGY STAR certification: hotels, senior care communities, and even grocery stores. With your survey data, EPA will try to make one for restaurants too!
- Stores that demonstrate superior performance – compared to an average restaurant
with similar characteristics – may be able to earn ENERGY STAR certification. People
know and admire the ENERGY STAR brand – and spend money based on it
- With a 1-100 ENERGY STAR score, restaurants could understand how their own energy consumption compares to the national, industry-wide average. Also, chains could compare the energy performance of stores within their brand.
- Restaurants can use this metric to easily communicate to management, staff and customers exactly how the building is performing.
We need participation from as many restaurants as possible
to make this effort successful!
All identifying information will be removed by a third-party from the data prior to submission to EPA for ENERGY STAR analysis. This information includes the establishment name and property address, as well as contact or other information about owners, operators, and tenants. These will also never appear in any summary, report, or description of the survey results.
Who in my organization should fill out the survey?
This survey should be filled out by someone who is familiar with the food service operations and equipment, and is able to gather site-specific data about the food service operation (e.g., gross square footage, numbers of various types of kitchen equipment, and average labor hours per day).
How much time will it take?
We estimate 2 to 2.5 hours to gather and enter information for a single food service location. Less time per location is typically needed for those who complete surveys for multiple locations. We recommend using the Excel spreadsheet, where you can save your work, and perform the survey over a few days.
We put together a few short video walkthroughs to help get you started:
The spreadsheet version is attached to the PDF you download by clicking this button
Clicking this button opens a PDF file with instructions and a link to the online survey
Why might I want to use Portfolio Manager to upload data?
- You may already be using Portfolio Manager to track your energy usage
- Portfolio Manager provides a spreadsheet for quick uploading or energy and water data
- You can use the tool to easily track and benchmark your energy and water usage over time
How do I enter the prize drawing?
The Food Service Energy and Water Survey runs from Wednesday, September 4th through Friday, December 13th.
Participants may enter the drawing for one of several American Express gift cards worth up to $450 by completing either the survey or the Alternate Drawing Entry Form.
Also, the first 40 participants to submit a completed survey will receive a $20 Starbucks gift card.
Please see the Official Rules for full details:
We appreciate your time and generous help on this initiative, and look forward to providing you with meaningful insights on building energy and water consumption throughout the food service industry.
Please send any questions or comments to FSEWSurvey@rfmaonline.com